Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Great Smokies National park

Day 15

Mileage 14.1

Today I started the ascent into the Great Smokies National Park. 

This has been what I've been looking forward too since day 1! 

Holy shit it was a climb to get to our campsite.  We hiked up into the clouds all morning.

Met up with several other hikers at camp we had seen the last few days.  Our squad now is: Papa, BO, honey badger, darwin, legs and patrick.

The smokies are so beautiful.  We are camped at 4400 feet and having a blast.


Day 16

Mileage 16.6

We had an aggressive day planned.  A shit load of PUDs.  

Damn its cold.

Every time I stopped my hands went tingly, even with two gloves on each hand.  The trees were beautifully covered in ice all morning.

There was a giant muddy hill we had to go down.  I slipped and slid on one foot with my other up as high as my head.  The most ungraceful ballerina ever.

In the afternoon the sun came out and all those ice covered trees started spitting ice chunks at me. Cut the top of my damn head from one. Little assholes.

At the end of the day my legs were tired.  I tented out and passed out at 7pm.

I woke up cold twice and had to put on more layers.

We are camped 3 miles from Clingman's Dome!  And the plan for everyone is to get to Newfound gap and go into Gatlinburg and resupply and stay the night.


Day 17

Mileage 14 ish

Today was epic and terrifying!

First we hike 3 miles and go up into the tower at Clingman's dome!  You can see for miles!

The descent down Clingman's was covered in ice.  There was also a waterfall pouring water on top of said ice. It was unbelievable.  I had to go painstakingly slow.  But I didn't fall once!

Got to Newfound gap at 2pm.  Everyone had gotten hitches in town.  I had enough food so I kept going.  3 more miles to stay at one of the highest shelters on the trail at 5950 feet.

I did get a beer and water as trail magic at the gap though!  I also dropped my peanut butter and fell on my ass in the parking lot.  Figures.

Got to the shelter around 4pm.  This made it so I climbed all three of the 6000 footers on the AT in the smokies today!

There was a guy camping at the shelter just for the night who shared his mint chocolate moonshine.  Sup.


Day 18

Mileage 19.8

Today had a choice.  12.2 miles or 19.8 miles.  In the smokies you have to stay at the shelters.

Lumber Jill and Beeker both were down and we got to the first shelter at 2 and decided to keep going.

Beautiful day hiking.  Started in the fog and ended up with a bluebird day.

20 miles was a long fucking day.  The last uphill my legs were tired.  But we made it to the shelter by 5:30.

Mostly hiked by myself all day.  I've been really loving the alone days.  I get to think and admire the nature surrounding me. 


Day 19

Mileage 17.5 ish

Only 7 miles left of the smokies!

Got an early start and was hiking by 7:30 but just as the sun rose the clouds covered it.

Made it to the end of the smokies by 10 and all they had was a sign about killing bears. WTF.

Got to the standing bear hostel and ate half a pizza and got some candy bars and a v8.

There we met up with some people we hiked with a week or so ago.  Winter, Oz and truck joined Lumber Jill, Beeker and me as we pushed forward another 7 miles to the shelter.

There was a new crew there building a fire and also planning on getting to Hot Springs in two days.  Sat around the fire until 8:30 and passed out.


Day 20

Mileage 13.1

A day with two peaks to climb, but low mileage. 

These days seem to follow a schedule lately.

Wake up at 3am.  Convince myself to go pee.  Look at the stars.  Sleep until 6:30.  Convince myself to unzip my bag.  Put my shit away as fast as possible.  Get my food out of the trees.  Eat 3 packets of oatmeal with a packet of carnations instant breakfast, honey and peanut butter.  Put my bag on and walk.  Hope my hands aren't numb yet (They are).  Walk until I heat up.  Take most of my clothes off.  Eat lunch. Walk.  Get to the end goal of the day.  Eat dinner #1.  Eat dinner #2.  Swear about already eating my desert candy earlier.  Get in my sleeping bag as its dropped below freezing by now.  Sleep.


Day 21

Mileage 13.5

Today's motto.  Get to Hot Springs as fast as possible. 

I need a shower and to do laundry.  Its day 7.  Filth bucket.

Left camp at 8 and got to Hot Springs at 12. I think this is the fastest I've hiked so far.

That said everyone this morning had that motto and I was one of the last out of camp.

I headed out in all my clothes like normal.  Get up the immediate climb halfway.  I strip down to short shorts and short sleeve.  Everyone I passed passes me back.  The leap frog is real.

Tip toe and I head out at a good pace and pass everyone except Darwin, who was rushing to find a place to stay tonight.

At one point I asked Tip toe if he wanted to pass me.  "If I go any faster I'm going to have an aneurysm."

That said I got to the place I'm staying around 12.  Immediately showered and went off with Beeker to do laundry and eat.

We ate at the diner.  I had a veggie burger and mac and cheese with a giant pepsi.  I finally feel full.

About to meet up at 7 with the whole crew for dinner and live music.

Tomorrow is spa day.  I got a 6 pack and a bunch of baked goods from the fam to bring!!! You are the best.  Although I have no clue how to make the guac they sent me ingredients for...

--Strider


Day 22

Mileage 0

Made guac and bought a six pack.  Going to the spa to eat snacks and drink.  I think there are 14 of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment