Sunday, March 12, 2017

Dick's creek - Franklin NC

Day 7

Mileage 17.9

Today was a long day.  Got free breakfast from where I stayed.  Then started walking towards the trail.  Got a hitch with a guy who was doing trail magic the day before.

Didnt start hiking until 9:30


Hiked through the forest fires all day today;  it was surreal.

Got up to indian mt shelter by 5!  My legs are tired!  Word is snow tomorrow though...

Holy shit!! I finished Georgia!!! I was worried I was picking up a southern draw there for a second...


Day 8

Mileage 16.7.

Welp today was a struggle.  I'll keep the complaining quick, because I'm still having a blast. 

My right knee locked up for the second half of today due to a too small brace I bought.

Also had to climb the first real mountain.  Albert mountain.

Also it started sleating and snowing.

Even still, today was beautiful.  Climbed to the top of a tower on top of a 5200 foot mountain.  I could see forever! 

I made it over 100 miles today sup?


Day 9

Mileage 8ish as fast as possible.

Spent my first night in a shelter!  I was warm in my sleeping bag, but fuck it was cold in the morning.

I messed up and thought it was 7:15 when it was 8:15.  UGH.  The shuttle gets to winding stair gap at 11:30... 

Oh I forgot it snowed 5 inches last night!

I start packing my gear and got my bear bag down to make breakfast.  I then realize what time it actually is.  Pack my shit, eat a snickers and leave saying goodbye to the last few at the shelter as I high tail it out of there.

Good thing I can bend my knee today!  Push it pace wise and make it to the stairs at 11:27!  They yelled up to see if anyone was still coming.  "Don't leave without me!"

I made the bus and I'm now on round two of lunch.

Going to the lazy hiker brewery in a few to celebrate clean shave's birthday!

I am going to take a zero tomorrow.  I need to buy some warmer clothes as its going be pretty cold this week.  My knee could use a full rest day too.

It looks like the safe move is to go slow until fontana dam and might have to wait out the weather to go through the smokies.

--Strider


No comments:

Post a Comment