Saturday, March 18, 2017

Franklin - fontana dam

Day 11

Mileage 17 ish

It sleeted and snowed all day!  13 degree high for the day in the mountains!

It was so fucking beautiful.  The snow and the peace was epic.

I met up with two guys in Franklin I had met earlier on the trail.  Papa and BO.  They are both 60 years old.  We have had a blast together.  Papa is training for his next ultra marathon.  BO has a phd in anthropology and teaches at Duke.

My legs are on the other side and seem like they are healing and getting stronger.

We stayed at a bed and breakfast run by an English couple that was super weird. We had to leave all our clothes in a mud room not attached to the house.  Then we had to immediately show and wear a provided track suit...


Day 12

Mileage 14 ish

We started at burningtown gap.  It was 9 degrees with 30mph winds.  There were only two people ahead of us on the trail.

I was warm except my hands were cold and tingly for the first 20 minutes.  After that I heated up and enjoyed some spectacular views all day!

We made it to the NOC today and stayed at the hostel.  I ate two dinners at the restaurant.  I was starving today!  I didn't want to stop and cool off. 


Day 13

Mileage 14 ish

I left the NOC at 8:30 and started the 8 mile uphill climb.  I felt it in my right knee after the climb. 

Such a pretty day in and out of the snow!

I was super tired after the day, but I stayed in a bed and breakfast log cabin.  Hot tub.

Hot tub.


Day 14

Mileage 16ish

Made it all the way to fontana dam!!!  Holy shit!  I've gone 167 miles total.  And we start the smokies tomorrow!!!!

Today was a nice and easy except for Jacob's ladder... 

No knee pain today!!!  My Achilles is still tight, but at like 80% so it seems like I'm on the mend.

I also hiked the first half with BO and we talked all morning.  Super smart and genuine guy.

The 2nd half of the day I hiked in silence by myself as I overlooked fontana dam.

I'm so excited to start the smokies tomorrow!

They say only 50% make it past the smokies so wish me luck!

Happy St. Patrick's day! I'm in a dry county in the south.

--Strider


2 comments:

  1. I wanna see a picture of those track suits! How strange indeed... Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice posts bud, good luck on those smokies.

    ReplyDelete