Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Damascus, VA -- Marion, VA

Day 35

Mileage 15.5 ish

We hiked out of Damascus at a nice lazy pace with bellies full.

A great hiking day with temps in the high 50s and the sun out.

Our plan was to hike to the shelter right before Grayson Highlands.

The scenery changed as we hiked from barren trees to a riverside hike to beautiful trees.


Day 36

Mileage 17.5 ish

Today is pony day. 

It was 12 miles until we enter Grayson highlands.  So we got there around 1:30.  We hiked through various pony herds from then on.  We finished at timpsi shelter. 

Ok so we are at the shelter and a herd of ponies rolls up.  They lick our hands and even someones freshly shaved head...

Now for the fun story time.

I cowboy camp tonight. This means just my pad and sleeping bag.  No tent.  I fall asleep around 9 after the stars and almost full moon come out.

At 2 am. Clip clop, clip clop.  Three ponies in a brute pony squad are 6 feet away staring me down. The leader was a viciously pregnant female.  I shed my sleeping bag as they posture towards me.  "Nope, nope, nope."  Apparently when provoked I assume a defensive stance instinctively.  Wrong move.  The male pony whinnies, rears back and gallops at me.  I raise my arms and yell "Yahhhhh, yahh"  and run towards them. 

I guess I was fully ready to fight 3 ponies... 

They were not and they ran off.  The whole camp dying of laughter.

I did not sleep that much for the rest of the night.


Day 37

Mileage 20ish

Pictured above is the pregnant she devil from the night prior.  They came into camp first thing in the morning looking for food.

The hike today goes in and out of the Grayson highlands with great views all day. 

We get into camp and I didn't drink enough water and get super dizzy and light headed.  Oops.

Another night of cowboy camping.  Tonight is a full moon and its beautiful


Day 38

Mileage 10ish

Wake to an awesome sunrise. 

We leave at 9 and get to Marion at 1 after a hitch from a 16 year old boy.

Today we eat, drink and resupply.


No comments:

Post a Comment