Thursday, June 1, 2017

Harpers ferry, VA -- Delaware Water Gap, PA

Day 71

Mileage 43.7

Today is the day we attempt the quad state challenge.  Last night we hiked back to the Virginia border.  We all started at 4:25 am.

The quad state challenge is to hike from Virginia into Pennsylvania in 24 hours.  Crossing through 4 state lines and hiking 43.7 miles in the process.

It was so much fun for most of the day.  There were some sweet views and pretty easy terrain for most of it.  We even did a few mile jog in the middle.

My plan was 4 quick breaks after 10 ish miles to get water and snack.  The last break I had to try and take care of my feet.  They were pretty beat up still from the 30 mile day in the rain coming into harpers ferry.

So I get to the last 3 ish miles and its all rocks and its night now.  My headlamp kind of sucks and the trail isn't very well marked.  I got turned around for prolly an hour in those fucking rocks. 

In the end we all finished it and are going with Legs' family tomorrow for a 0.


Day 73

Mileage 20.8

My feet are a fucking mess.  The 4 state was a dumb idea.  But we hike on. 

There were no views today and the only resolve was listening to an audio book.

Mentally I'm fairly done hiking.  Even though I've taken more zeroes lately I feel like I have 0 energy for hiking...


Day 74

Mileage 17.3

The push to halfway is fucking real.  The half gallon challenge awaits us.

There store is fucking closed.

But a magical bus driven by Barborosa is awaiting us.

We leave promptly to go to trail days.


We stop a few hours in to the drive and stay the night at his parents farmhouse which is just amazing.  We all shower and do laundry.

His mom made us fresh ice cream.  Whats up.


Days 75-78

Trails days was awesome but I really am excited to get back to hiking.

We all needed the break from hiking it seems.  At the same time 4 days off is rough. 

The weekend brought us all together as friends.  We came out of it with the push to make it to the end together.


Day 79

Mileage 7

Got back from trail days in the late afternoon and hiked only 7 into a campground.

It feels so good to be back in the woods again.  I'm starting to dread going back to the real world after this is over.


Day 80

Mileage 26 ish

We enter farmland today.  The change of scenery is wonderful.  Today is super flat so we put in a big day. 

Today is so exciting.  Ma sent me a package and I can't wait.  Sending my tent, puffy and hat home today.  I now have a tarp and a bug net.  My base weight is around 11 pounds now. 

She sent me homemade granola bars too.  Holy shit they are so good.


Day 81

Mileage 16 ish

Today is resupply day.  We head into Duncannon and eat food at the Doyle, because as a thruhiker you have to.

The trail is super easy right now.  We are awaiting the rocks.


Day 82

Mileage 25ish

Back to 20 mile days.  Still no rocks but whatevs.  My shoes are starting to die so thats a whole thing.

These awesome flowers bloomed today and smell wonderful.  20 mile days are feeling good.  My legs are feeling great. 


Day 83

Mileage 22

Ok the rocks came at us hard.  My shoes are fucked.  The soles are basically falling off.

At the end of today the bottoms of my feet and my ankles are sore. 


Day 84

Mileage 24

Made it to Port Clinton, PA today.  I still have food so I just facetimed the fam at camp and went to bed.

These rocks are tough work, but fuck it we still do 20s.


Day 85

Mileage 22

I forgot to get water today.  Went 18 miles on 1 liter.  Slowed down hard the second half of today.  Saw two timber rattlers in the rocks today.  The noise of the rattle is soo cool.

I really want to pick one up before I'm out of PA.

I hiked on passed my crew today and met some new hikers. 

They are gonna do a bigger day tomorrow and catch back up.


Day 86

Mileage 17

More fucking rocks. Also rain.  Also shoes are in a dire situation.  Only doing 17 today and camping out. We head into town in the morning for breakfast and small resupply.

Had to go over a sweet knife's edge today that was fairly slick in the rain.  Fell for the 3rd time of my whole trip and broke my fucking sunglasses.


Day 87

Mileage 20.6

Lehigh gap was amazing.  The first rock scramble of the trail.  So. Much. Fun.

Headed into wind gap and stayed the night.  Got a shower and are going to do laundry in the am.  Also going to try and find a cheap shoe replacement while my real new shoes are getting mailed in.


Day 88

Mileage 16

Got new shoes from payless.  They suck, but are better than my other shoes so fuck it.  Made it to the New Jersey border today!!

Another state down and man it feels good to be hiking.  Our group is the fucking shit.  No matter how the day goes I can count on laughing and joking at the end of every day.

--Strider


No comments:

Post a Comment